Monday, July 22, 2002

Now what?

I hadn't received my invitation in the six weeks I was told to wait, so I e-mailed my placement officer, and he said:

"Apparently something was sent out on the 12th of June."

I never got that. And it's what, the 22nd of July? Did they expect me to take that much time, or is it just that they don't follow up or keep tabs on people? I'm a pretty patient person, but I can't believe that not even the website (where you can log in and check your status) reflected that something was sent, which it even has a space for. Yet, even my placement officer has records that something was sent. Arrgh. I'm trying to contact the screening nurse who knows what was sent out, but that's going to take at least the morning.

What's more, my placement officer sent me an e-mail on the 13th of June that stated I was qualified for education and that he was waiting for my medical to clear, but there was no mention of anything having been sent or requested of me. I partially blame myself for this, because I should have been in better communication, but I didn't want to be the impatient bugger who just wouldn't shut up. I guess there's a happy medium I still have yet to find.

Last week, I heard from a recently returned volunteer (second-hand) that I would be foolish to do Peace Corps. Apparently, her first year was great, but things went downhill the second year. That's the first bad thing I've heard. I really hope this problem with the screening nurse can be quickly resolved, or I'm going to start having serious doubts about this myself.