Thursday, July 03, 2003

05/09/2003

Sometimes I find myself walking along the street, feeling pain and sadness for the people I miss back in the States. I think of all the times I've needed them and vice versa, and of all the little things I'm missing - and the inevitable growing we all do. I really get myself down thinking about this, and wondering why I'm still here, messing things up.

Then I pass a woman who's walking on one good foot and one arched foot, painfully taking every step while carrying her daily supply of food and water.

This is when I realize that this pain I feel is really quite silly. If these are truly my friends, then my absence will be but a hiccup and if we haven't changed too much, we can continue to be friends. It's actually so silly that I feel bad, feeling bad for myself! I have so much...

And in the same vein, I got to thinking about how I learned about artificial intelligence in college, and how utterly inapplicable that seems now. But really, AI is just the very low-level study of human thought. And human thought is expressed by language in its many forms. The key to thought is not in words, but meanings. And what things really mean is only apparent when taken from the perspective of several different languages.

Tired. Will finish later.

Peace

John