Thursday, July 03, 2003

05/13/2003

I think more and more students are getting what learning in my classes is about, but it's still the vast minority.

I had my shoe fixed today because the sole was coming off. I paid 700 Met for the shoes ($29 US) and 8 Met to get them fixes (33 cents US). And it was done so caringly, that I felt better after I had them fixed than after I had bought them. Plus I know that the shoe repairman (in his 5th year of business on a street corner, on the ground) counts every Met.

Speaking of customer service, you can buy many things on the street from vendors walking around - hats, shirts, capulanas, bananas, cashews, etc. Before I went to Xai-Xai, I grabbed some cashews so I could make friends and bide some time. I stopped a vendor, asked the prices and I asked for a cup's worth (10 Met). He precisely and carefully searched and found the roll of plastic bags, and with full concentration on the bag, he proceeded to open it and then transfer his attention to the cashews. Clearly, he was completely focused on his job, and made sure the cup was overfilled, giving me a little extra at the end in a very deliberate but gentle manner. I walked away with tears in my eyes.

Here was a man, doing what many others would consider to be "getting by". And when you think of a job in these terms, you don't put your all into it because it's just a transitional job. But this man was dedicated to cashew-selling, regardless of the pay or the prestige. He demonstrated pride without knowing it, by simply seeking perfection in the simplicity. He made me realize how rare it is to find people who are content enough to make every moment as thoughtful as possible.

Peace

John