Friday, January 30, 2004

12/30/2003

Arriving in the Algarve on a classic train with all your clothes on your back - well, it sounds a lot more exciting than it was.

I'll continue with the travel log later, but I was reminded today of begging. I'm constantly asked (as are all the Americans, if not anyone with money here) for money or other various items. I started off giving credence to the begging, asking why they needed the money, etc., then realizing I was never getting an honest answer. I started just saying "no", but with food, it's different. I'll often give bread, bananas, cassava, etc., to people who ask and aren't just asking for the novelty of it. What I find from this is telling. Often my offer of food will be rejected, even after the beggar has said that they need it. On the surface, I feel justified in denying money. In fact, I had the same experience in Portugal - I had some chestnuts (freshly roasted - mmm) and offered them to beggars who approached. Some denied the offer.

But who am I to say how someone wants to spend their money? Just because I fear I'm giving to someone who doesn't actually need it - and because I fear they'll spend it on something I would consider frivolous - I don't give. An Edwin McCain song talks about this and roughly says he'll give money to a bum "to walk up to the bar and enjoy his life". Which makes me reevaluate everything.

If I give money to someone who needs it, they'll probably spend it how they want, not by my priority. If I give money to someone who doesn't need it, they'll definitely do that. If I give food to someone who needs it, they'll be less motivated to buy food OR have more time and energy to be miserable begging. To someone who doesn't need it, food is only welcome if they like it. And then there's education. Hopefully, giving an education gives both money and food.

Peace

John