Thursday, May 20, 2004

04/19/2004

Long day today - lots of walking and talking in lots of different languages. I'm speaking up more in school now, but I don't know if it helps anyone who needs it. Oh well, I'm trying.

Spoke to a Zimbabwean woman named Nyoni today who is a primary school teacher, but because of the poor economy in her country, has to augment her $140 monthly salary (where it costs $.10 for a piece of bread) by selling really nice woodwork and other goods in Mozambique. I bought a candlestick and we traded contact info. I promised to visit her in Zimbabwe and she promised to write, as her hobby is letter writing. She was shocked to find that there's no home delivery of mail here, or many other conveniences she has in her own country. She also asked me if I was here because of "charity" in that half-derisive way. In one swell foop, I rectified that misunderstanding and my religious affiliations (none). Yet another surprise to her.

Peace

John