Thursday, May 30, 2002

I've heard a lot about Africa.

Starting about eight months ago at a party, running into someone who was a returned volunteer from Rwanda, I've heard all the best and worst of the continent I plan on travelling to. She said that civil war broke out during her tenure, and even though the entire village she had been a member of was killed in the war, she still treasured the experience and would do it all again. This didn't scare me, as it did some people when I told them this story, it just strengthened my resolve to make a difference in the world. Hell, if she can lose essentially all of her work, and still consider it a worthwhile experience, then most certainly I've got to try this for myself.

I've heard stories of people who have absolutely adored their experience, citing beauty and the challenge as two main reasons. But for my physical exam (in order to pass screening so I can volunteer), my African doctor had mixed feelings. He is Nigerian, and speaks English almost flawlessly (well, certainly better than Americans do, at least). He seemed surprised that I would want to head over there, surprised at the irony I suppose. There he is, a Nigerian who had very little and went to America to make the most of his life -- and I'm an American who has a lot going for him, and want to go over to Africa. It seemed backwards. After some consideration of the idea (as if it were a new concept), he warmed up to it and started to see my motivations. Is he indicative of the attitude I'm going to have to overcome? Or is he an outlier, a conservative among liberals?