Thursday, October 24, 2002

10/11/2002

Tonight will also be a short entry as I have to get up early tomorrow to go to Maputo.

I want to give the people here credit - they definitely know how to survive. They live communally, in many senses, and individualistically in others. As this journal continues, you will get to know the different ways.

Information here is communal, when it deals with people, especially visitors like the PC. Everything we do is recorded by the children and mothers (even the fathers on occasion) and passed along to everyone else.

For instance, I bumped my head today on the corner of a window sill (very stupid thing to do) and started bleeding a bit. I got hold of a medical kit and cleaned myself up.

While I was eating dinner, several hours later, a mother and her son came by just to tell my "parents" what had happened. They made sure everything was OK, and it was, of course.

If you think you're scrutinized by living in a small, tight-knit community, you really have no idea. See, very few people knew what had happened, yet everyone knew within hours. It's amazingly efficient, and I can definitely see its usefulness!

Peace

John