Saturday, October 05, 2002

Greetings!

Boa tarde! (Good afternoon)

I'm in Maputo, Mozambique, in a RESORT of a hotel, enjoying my last day of orientation in a beautiful, but dangerous area. It's difficult to explain how it's been so far -- I have 36 awesome fellow trainees, and we are all having a wonderful time. We are learning Portuguese, learning about security, and learning about how we will possibly teach Biology (and English) in another language. We are asking questions of everyone: Current volunteers, nationals, staff, other trainees, etc. It's almost getting tiring getting acquainted with everyone else, but it's fantastic knowing as many people as well as I do. I'm writing a ton in my journal, which is why I'm not getting into specifics -- the entries should be posted within 2-3 weeks, so just be patient!

I know you have a ton of questions, but hopefully they will be answered by my journal in due time ...

If you haven't received responses to e-mail, it's because I have very limited and expensive e-mail time, so I'm trying to be frugal with my remaining American $$$!

So far, I love Africa and I'm safe and sound!

Oh, and please try to send snail mail (address is on the journal) and not e-mail, because then I'll be able to respond to it with more thought. Mail costs $1.50 (one day's living wage here) to send, so I may not be able to send as much as I thought, but I will write back to you all!

Peace,
John