Sunday, January 12, 2003

12/15/2002

(THIS IS MOM --- I JUST RECEIVED SOME ENTRIES PRECEDING THE BATCH I'D JUST ENTERED LAST WEEK. SORRY ABOUT THAT --- HERE ARE 12/15 THROUGH 12/19. THAT SHOULD CATCH US UP.)

I am currently in the lap of luxury, and trying to make the most out of it.

Because we can't all be delivered to our sites at the same time, we got put up in a very nice Maputo hotel, just like when we first got here. Except this time, we truly appreciate the great food, the pool, the showers and the view.

It's really - jarring - to be sitting poolside with nothing to do, watching the people of the city working hard and scavenging for food. It's hard because I don't want this, but I feel handcuffed, because I can't do anything for the people here just yet.

Also, we just said goodbye to over half of the group this morning. Most of them I will see for Christmas, but many I won't see until April. And it's not necessarily difficult because we've grown close (we all knew this was coming), but because this is such a drastic change in our schedule and who our friends will be...again. It's eerily similar to leaving Philadelphia, saying good-bye to loved ones and heading off for the unknown.

I think we're all looking forward to arriving in our new homes. We just wish we could take the best parts of each aspect of the PC life and have it all at the same time - but I suppose the idea is that this needs to be hard.

Peace

John