Thursday, August 05, 2004

06/06/2004

I would hate to ever be pregnant. I got some sort of food poisoning on Friday evening and spent the night jumping up from bed to empty my stomach - the way things started. So I don't think I could ever handle doing that every day for months at a time - maybe not as frequently, but having those wishy-washy feelings that maybe things will just get better on their own.

With just a week to go in town, Annie and Charles invited us over to watch more or less a final movie - "The Killing Fields". I had never seen it before and though it was often shocking and the story strong, it reminded me of how fruitless it seems to be to be fighting on the side of peace within a war-loving society. Is it that we forget so easily the horrors of war? Or is it that we get so bloodthirsty that it just doesn't matter? It's clear that most people for war don't know or care about what war does to a society. Here in the south of Mozambique, where the war was the worst, people are consistently more violent, more apathetic and less educated than those in the rest of the country. Regardless of what war may resolve, it creates problems too numerous and horrible to ever justify war.

I might still end up teaching Chemistry and keeping my 10th graders.

Peace

John