Thursday, June 06, 2002

Realistically, Africa could suck.

I keep alternating between being excited and scared about going to Africa. There is a cruel duality about the whole experience. On the one hand, it is going to be gorgeous, challenging, fun, uplifting, cleansing and peaceful. However, it's also going to be depressing, ugly, worrisome, painful and harsh. But I'm hoping that the latter qualities will come and go, while the positive qualities are the lasting ones.

I guess, that just like the day needs the night, I need the experience to be downright shitty at times in order to get the full effect of how powerful it could be. I shouldn't approach it with much apprehension, but maintain a good balance of enthusiasm and guardedness. I think that's what I try to do with most things in my life, and for the most part, it works out. This is just unlike any other experience. I mean, I've been to Europe several times. I've gone for weeks at a time to places I've never been with people I've never met doing things I didn't know how to do. I'm able to place my trust in some qualified stranger's hands. I work hard, persevering through pain and adversity. But Africa? I'm going to have to drum up all of that ... and more.