Saturday, November 29, 2003

09/28/2003

I left the training site yesterday, heading straight for the beach where a bunch of volunteers were hanging out - just because.

I managed to catch one of the slowest chapas I've ever had on the way there. The driver slowed down to about 20 km/hr (about 15 mph) and took back roads to get to his house. Who knows what he was doing there or why, but now I know another chapa to avoid. We waited outside his house about 10 minutes before anyone from the car decided to go try and find him. Luckily I was in no hurry.

The next ride I got was from a couple of South Africans who own some land by the beach - I got a very windy ride, but was rewarded with a genuine lager at the end of it. As I had only eaten popcorn earlier in Maputo (and impressed the vendor with my Changana, getting an extra scoop), the beer hit me pretty hard. The 90 degree day didn't help either. So I grabbed some cashews and munched on that while I looked for the volunteers.

We got together, finally, and after having seen some of my students on a school outing, we said bye to the beach, and headed back to Monica's place. We cooked a fabulous Mexican-themed dinner with tacos, enchiladas, sangria, etc. Unfortunately, I suddenly felt nauseous about 30 minutes before all was ready. I sat down and rested for a while, but it turned out that was all I could handle. Realizing I wasn't very hungry and how little I had eaten all day, I figured something I had had at the training site got to me. Oh, well.

I watched everyone go off to the club, and stayed watching movies subtitled in Portuguese on a very appreciated big-screen TV.

I grabbed a couple hours of sleep, at most, then we all headed out together. We got another very slow ride, but it was fun. There's nothing like sitting on peoples' laps and crunching legs together to endear you to others. Chapa Twister.

To say that I napped on the ride into town would be an understatement. I was awake long enough to make it to my bed - possibly the best feeling in the world after spending two uncomfortable prostrate hours on a reed mat. And, so far today, I've eaten a banana. It's almost 9 PM. I'm hoping tomorrow is another, more normal day.

I think keeping up with thie journal has made my thinking very self-centered. I think my relationships here are suffering because of it - so I'm going to try, starting tomorrow, for a week, to only write about others I encounter over the course of the day. Hopefully, that will get me back on track.

I think I'm gonna try eating a little dinner. Food. What a concept.

Peace

John