Saturday, November 29, 2003

09/29/2003

One of my best students today showed up with new, change-in-the-sunlight glasses. He's one of my activists and better students. During class, he got very mad at me for not accepting his homework, to the point of practically yelling at me. He passed a note to one of his neighbors: "The American doesn't get on well with the African. Example: The Biology of the Secondary School and the students of 9th grade." He's usually a good kid. Now he's going to write an essay for me on how I can "get along better" with them.

The advanced students in my English classes are wonderfully smart and inquisitive. They asked me questions until 9:20 tonight, absorbing almost everything I threw at them. One of them is a major kiss-up and a little too smart for his own good. He loves to answer questions, but sometimes he just doesn't let anyone else respond. Every class has got one.

I still haven't seen the old guy (Pedro) return to the post office after his long vacation. His temporary replacement is maybe permanent, after all? A trainer from the language program in Peace Corps was fired and all the trainers said was that she "wasn't in this week". Strange, that.

Laurenzo, noting the absence of all the secretaries and the pile of bookkeeping to be done, was crunching major numbers today. He's a Biology teacher, pedagogical director, and substitute secretary. How many hats does he have to wear? How many people would be as dedicated in his position? It's really incredible.

On a good note, the students in my youngest turma were absolutely a pleasure. We had a quick, fun two lessons and they seemed to absorb everything attentively. I guess it also helps that I have them first thing Monday afternoon. But they are generally smart and ambitious.

Dinho is starting to swing to the side of "incredibly annoying" once again. He has these swings every so often for one extreme or the other, and he's really being far too honest as of late. Far too honest.

Peace

John