Sunday, November 30, 2003

10/22/2003

The weather was perfect today. Yesterday it felt like the first day of spring after a snowy winter. The cold was in the wind, but not in the air, the ground was muddy but freshly so, and I was wearing about 4 layers of summer clothing to make up for the one layer of winter clothing I (mistakenly) did not bring to Africa.

But today was back to being plain old hot. The mud started to dry up, my students stopped dressing like poorly outfitted pimps in their puffy winter coats and uniform pants, and shade was once again welcome.

However, as mistakes go, I made another minor one today. About 3 in the afternoon, well after lunch and without having drunk any water, I settled down to a nice, thick beer with Kingston. I had to convince him that ONE meant ONE and not THREE, but it was still a mistake. I got fairly drunk from the combination of all of these things, made some ill-advised withdrawal from the bank, spoke with the French teacher in SLOW Portuguese (though I think we were both doing it for the benefit of the other) and then returned home in time to eat everything in sight.

Which is why it's 10 PM and I just finished eating dinner, after helping Albertina with her Biology.

One more year?

Peace

John