Monday, December 29, 2003

11/14/2003

More bullshit work. Good discussion of how Mozambicans look at romantic relationships. Seems that male professors often cull future wives from their classes. Would explain a lot.

Good moment today. I had just bought some rice and dish soap at an upscale store in town from a kid who I know, and who knows me. The bagger, however, did not know me, and proceeded to say right in front of me, in Changana, that I wasn't able to bag the stuff myself because I'm white. (Truth was, I was rearranging my bag, and he bagged the rice upside down.) As soon as he started on his rant, I stared directly at him, as he was looking at the kid. He finished, still staring at the kid, me still staring at him. There was a 2 second pause, then "What?" innocently escaped his mouth, to the kid. He looked at me staring at him and I said, "I know Changana" as I left. The look on his face was of sheer horror. The kid knew. I'll be surprised if he is bagging the next time I walk in. Hmm, maybe I'll go tomorrow just to mess with them a bit.

(OK - BACK TO THE TRIP)

Monday, November 3rd

In the morning, I went to school to proctor national exams and see about my leave for Wednesday through Friday. Agostino, a pedagogical director, had previously come to my house and asked Blake to help proctor, because my school was short of teachers for the exams, or so they said.

So I arrived and Agostino said, "Tell Blake we don't need him, and as far as your situation, talk to Matavel", Matavel being the substitute director of course. He proceeded to say that I couldn't take my leave. I reminded him that he signed the paper. He threatened to never sign anything again for me. I yelled, calling him on trying to evade responsibility, etc. I was very angry, and quite a few teachers heard me ripping into him.

Anyway, we had a very nice dinner with the Canadians and family, where Blake and I were drilled on our experiences and philosophies on being teachers. Nice to talk about it, but I really tire of talking about myself as I get enough of that in this journal. So I flipped some questions back to them.

Tuesday, November 4

Shopping! Nimi stopped by while I was proctoring exams, and then we got a whole bunch of capulanas and other assorted items at the market. We heard from Justin what the conditions are like in Zimbabwe and why there are so many Zimbabwean vendors here in town. We visited Judite who served us fruit juices, and Mom then watched an English lesson. I tailored the lesson so that the kids had to ask her for information about what she "can" and "cannot" do, reporting back to the big group about the results.

We ate dinner at another decent restaurant and I got another half-chicken. I'm still trying to get used to not eating chicken...

Peace

John