Monday, December 29, 2003

12/11/2003

Laurenco called me over with a quick flick of the finger. As I walked outside with him, I though about how I'd never seen anyone called with a Western hand gesture here, but leave it to him. The most even-tempered and street-smart Mozambican I have known.

I knew that this was the moment when he would either plead with me to stay for a couple more days or tell me I could leave. My frustration had gotten to such a point over the past few days that I was considering just going AWOL - promises of being done with work, etc. But as he started to speak, proudly, of how it seemed the rest of the work would end and could be handled by others, he smiled honestly and swept his hand around in the most gigantic and graceful handshake I've been a part of. I regretted later not having a few reflective words, saying only "Thank you" and "Good luck with your work." We parted quickly, and I took off to take care of errands. I probably should have said goodbye to the other teachers, but it would have been like rubbing salt in wounds well-worn.

This evening Blake and I discussed final arrangements for his things so that he can move into another house after he comes back from his holiday, starting tomorrow. We shared a bit of our plans for next yer, and Albertina and I talked a bit about the next few months. I'm pretty sure she's still quite bummed by the news of failing and her future.

I'm on the last page of my journal, the 9th now. As this marks in many ways a good dividing point - done with the first year of school, on to the 10th journal, a new housemate, and a full year of being a volunteer - I'm going to try and offer myself some closure to put the bad behind me and dwell on the good, figuring out how I can make that good even better.

I know I can change the world. Admittedly, I began almost 15 months ago, much more naive, monolingual and relatively sheltered. But I have not fundamentally changed as a person - my mother said that my perspectives would change, and they have - but I still carry a very strong desire to change the world. And I still don't know how.

END PART ONE.


Peace

John