Monday, December 29, 2003

12/03/2003

After doing a whole lot of nothing, we were served really poorly-fed fish and rice for lunch at school. Not being a fish person, and listening to comments like "What happened? Did you pick the ones who smoked their entire lives?" from teachers...who smoke... I decided to lunch at home. It was probably disrespectful, to leave when food was offered like that, but I don't exactly feel close to the other teachers. They almost always speak Changana with each other, asking only when it's something they think I might enjoy, if I understand. Just generally making life difficult. I've been told that many of the other teachers don't like me, on several occasions now, and maybe I'm starting to approach relationships with them with that in mind.

Kingston and I had a meeting today about the English school idea. We were pounding out details when it came down to money. I was looking at the numbers of estimated students and teachers, and we were talking about salaries. When I realized how much money Kingston wanted each student to pay per semester (about $20, which is a lot here), I mentioned how only the rich would attend and how this creates a class stratification.

"Exactly" was the reaction of both Kingston and his sister (?). They made the point that you can't have a school like this without catering to those who can afford it - otherwise, you're just teaching to the masses. After chewing over this and debating the benefits of keeping it cheap, he asked me about the classes I was giving locally. I told him how much I charged ($1 per month) and they remarked on how cheap that was - and why people don't show up regularly or in large numbers. Like anywhere else, people associate price with quality, so charging very little means it's going to be crappy instruction. As we can't make a profit, we have to donate the money, and honestly, that's easier said than done. I've still got money looking for a project. And to donate even more??

So I agreed that it was necessary, but as long as we focused on helping teach the teachers of English, I'd be happy. Idealism took a knock, but got back up.

At one point, he said, "Our school needs a name. A good, English name."

Thinking he was joking around, and meant an English college name, I said the first one that came to mind: Stanley.

"Stanley, I like it. The Stanley Institute of English. Yes, you need a good English name for when you try to get a job."

I hope there are no Stanleys around here (but there is an Ed Milton...)

Peace

John