Friday, December 27, 2002

11/11/2002

I really don't know which site I'd like to end up at. In talking about all of the sites with everyone, it seems like all of the houses are very nice and there are a bunch of spots near the water.

Because I'm in the relatively unique position of being a male bio teacher who's not married and may well be limited to being within 6 hours of Maputo (due to asthma), I have two likely sites I may end up at and two more I could go to if I fought hard enough. One of the likely sites, of course, is the one I visited. It's not that I couldn't make it there, I just don't know if it's for me.

In any case, I'm going to have a roommate or a sitemate.

Rumor has it that one of the more admired volunteers has left the program early. People can't help but have a few doubts when things like that happen.

We got new language classes today, and I'm in the slower bio teacher class. In talking with the training coordinator, I confirmed why. In terms of being able to speak, I'm doing very well. However, I know I have problems with understanding the language when it's spoken. I can only understand words I know how to say - and because I can only learn so much every day, it takes a while to get to that point. Other people can understand more than they can speak, because of their Spanish backgrounds, but I surpassed my Spanish book in the second week. I know that I can help others in my class, and by doing that, help myself. So, as much time as I have (not much), I will be spending more tutoring and working with others.

I spoke with my mother and father today on the cellphone that Chris and Neha bought, then got broken under warranty, and was replaced with a "new" phone. In fact, this phone was used and has a bad receiver. You have to yell in order for the other person to hear you, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Didn't receive any mail today, but some should be coming tomorrow (hopefully).

Over the next few weeks, entries may be getting shorter as the pace of training picks up. I'll be more opportunistic about writing, but I can't guarantee anything!

Peace

John