Saturday, December 28, 2002

11/20/2002

I really hate McDonald's.

Really.

McD's represents everything the PC experience does not represent. You go to McD's for quick, easy solutions to one of life's major problems. You expect to pay a small price for something that isn't good for you, but goes down easy.

It disgusted me way before I ever considered the PC experience. And the fact that it was brought as a gift for us this week nearly made me vomit.

It was a taste of home for some people, who enjoyed their guilty pleasures. I had to leave the room, however. I couldn't handle smelling or being around such nasty food. It was ushered from South Africa by a staff member, posthaste.

Iggy, one of the training coordinators, dug into his McD's cheeseburger with zeal. From Zimbabwe, he has a completely different perspective on McD's food because it isn't a replacement meal - it's a treat.

So I explained to him why I was so put off: the way McD's monopolizes farmers and controls both methods and prices of beef, misleading tactics to sell their products, their lack of conscience when it comes to what they sell and how fat they help make people, etc. This was all new to him and somewhat entertaining. I felt pretty ridiculous afterwards, realizing that I just tried to explain to someone who has bigger concerns than boycotting business practices that reflect a different society's values. But I think we both learned from the experience.

However, I still detest McDonald's.

Model school is going well, and I'm trying new things every day to see how they fly. I was a live model for the muscular system today. I was shirtless for Sawyer's demonstration of major muscle groups. It was really funny, but I don't think they're going to forget that lesson!

Peace

John