Friday, December 27, 2002

11/13/2002

I taught my first class today - ever.

Well, let me qualify that.

I've taught before, just never in a formal classroom setting or teaching required material. So it was an experience, especially since I was teaching in Portuguese.

It was only a twenty-minute lesson, and I based it on the similarities of humans to other mammals. I went over the various differences we have and made a list with the students. Then, we concentrated on similarities and made a similar list.

And when I say students, I mean it. Some local 8th graders (ages ranging from 15-18, most likely) sat in on our "micro" teaching, our first forays into education in Mozambique. They acted like normal MOZ students, copying dutifully every word we wrote on the board.

My biology lesson went well, and to some extent, I was able to explain myself, but it was quite difficult. Knowing that they know Portuguese 10x better than I do can be intimidating if not downright scary. But most of the Bio teachers are doing really well with this challenge and we are already working quite hard (and spending less time playing cards or hanging out at the bar...)

The English teachers are similarly thriving, and feeling out for themselves how much Portuguese they can and should use in a given lesson. The lessons I sat in on were very interesting to watch. It's a real test for some people to stay patient and find other ways to explain themselves that the students understand.

It seems like these 3 days of micro-school and probably the first week of model school (next week) will create a sink-or-swin situation for some people. If you're not patient, or are weak in Portuguese (and a bio teacher), then something is going to give over the next few days. I think a couple people are on the brink of leaving, and I truly hope that they stick with the program and the rest of us reach out to them.

It would be a shame to lose more people who are so willing to give of their time.

On the positive side, however, I am very relieved with my first lesson. I had moderately expanded notes, and spent most of the lesson talking from the Portuguese I know. It didn't come out too grammatically correct, but that's just something I need to work on, and will come with time.

It's both exciting and daunting, being done with this first day. I only put together 1/2 a lesson, and yet it took quite a while to draw up and even more time thinking about it. I guess I just need practice and confidence.

Today at lunch, I was told that even more parents are reading this. We all say HI! Please realize thought that these are only my experiences and everyone's experience is radically different!

On Monday, I found out the Republicans took control of the Senate. Today, we found out that Iraq denied UN inspectors and W stated he's going to attack Iraq if Hussein confirms the denial of UN inspectors. The combination of these things makes it very likely that we will go to war in January in my mind, unless the UN steps in immediately. I think it's in our best interests here, as aid/development/PEACE workers that war is avoided at all costs. After all, as PC volunteers, we essentially work for the U.S. government...I hope W finds a peaceful solution as I know can be found.

Peace

John