Sunday, February 02, 2003

12/04/2002

I had a dream about rabbits last night.

To combat malaria, we take a prophylaxis, which is usually Mefloquine, or brand name Lariam. We take this once a week, on Wednesdays, so we all remember. Basically, this drug holds back malarial symptoms, but does not prevent infection. We get special drugs at the end for flushing out our bodies.

Anyway, Lariam has been shown to cause hallucinations or sleep deprivation, or just really vivid dreams. In our experiences, this seems to happen either the night of taking the pill or a couple of nights before (as it's wearing off).

So last night, I had a very bizarre dream of running alongside rabbits that I couldn't see, but could feel. All the colors in the dream were very clear and realistic - I headed into a grassy field that was a perfect grass-green, set against a perfect blue sky.

I had a very red shirt on, as I jumped into the field, following the rabbit. As I laid in the grass, hoping the rabbit would hop out so I could play with it, dozens of rabbits from everywhere started rustling beneath the grass cover and coming for me. A few crawled underneath my shirt, and at the instant that I started to panic, I woke up, bolting to a sitting position.

Unfortunately, my bed is positioned against a cement wall, and in bolting, I managed to knock my head against it. It was more funny than anything else.

Peace

John