Friday, February 28, 2003

1/24/2003

The exciting conclusion to my story?

I'm pretty sure everyone else was either asleep or saw it as completely normal to pick on the American. No mention of it today, not at all. And plenty of conversation.

Still an incredibly intimidating experience.

It's odd that I hear more about our drought going on (here) from the States, than I do locally. Maybe it's not strange.

When I ask people if it's going to rain, they always say no. If it's currently raining, all you can see are dark clouds, and I ask if it's going to rain today - I'll get a resounding "I don't think so". This isn't a matter of meteorological naivete. It's superstition, and I still like to test it. I go so far as to suggest it will rain on a particular day in the future, which brings laughs.

Superstition being a gateway to spirituality, it intrigues me very much. Likewise, there is a superstition about pregnancy. NEVER ask a woman when she's due, what the baby's gender might be, etc. It's considered bad luck as well.

Little by little the door is opening for me to the inside workings of Mozambican culture. I don't expect to see it all, but every discovery I make is exciting.

Peace

John