Sunday, February 02, 2003

12/07/2002

I found out yesterday that I am indeed going to C---!

It's quite difficult to explain how this day went for everyone here in B---, because a lot of people didn't get their choices, and in some cases, got sites very far removed from their choices. This, of course, is inevitable because of the amount of sites available for the number of people.

So it was guaranteed and turned out to be an up-and-down day. But now, we are all somewhat relieved because at least we know.

My philosophy (and many others' philosophy) has been that we never expected to have a choice as to where we're living, so it really doesn't matter. But it's strange when you're given a choice, because then you form expectations.

I never thought that I would have running water and electricity in my home, never mind an American housemate. But that's what I have now, and we'll see how I adapt from having...well, the complete opposite.

I saw two weddings today. The first was very boring and difficult to understand. It was held in a very official-looking building with three main rooms for weddings to be held in. Built-in speakers provided the cheesy wedding music, and families lined up in a "waiting room" while the previous group finished up. We essentially visited the Las Vegas of wedding sites.

However, we did manage to find a diamond in the rough. The second ceremony, which only a few of us stayed for, was a 45th wedding anniversary renewal of vows. There was a full, uniformed women's choir, singing very traditional songs (I was asked to join in, but used the excuse that I didn't know the song, even though it was very repetitive), and a dance troupe of sorts made up of men in suits and white gloves. WOW.

The dynamic has palpably changed among us from the fatigue of training to the excitement and fear of going to site. We're becoming jealous of the beach sites, planning out our Christmas, and indentifying who lives close. We watched a mini-meteor shower with newly found excitement, and a real optimism for things to come.

Peace

John