Thursday, April 24, 2003

2/27/2003

So I've always had this tendency to listen to HOW people are saying something, and not to WHAT they are saying. It often takes a concerted effort to stop "listening" to body language and what's going on around me and simply listen to the conversation. I guess I've found a way to coexist on both levels, but it slows down the language learning process a bit.

Learning Changana is quite fun, because it's SO different that I can start from a clean slate and practice with most anyone.

I'm realizing that the levels of my classes are sufficiently different that I might end up failing 75% of one turma and about 15% of another. It makes sense, though, because lessons can be tailored to the level of the class. But it's still a bit awkward.

I love getting and sending letters. So if I send you a letter and you haven't responded yet - shame on you.

I also love writing scatter-brained entries.

Laurenco and I talked to a turma I was having trouble with, especially with the ACS. He went into them, saying how cheating is not to be tolerated and how I'm still having some difficulties with the language, but they need to realize it works both ways - they need to help me as I do them. He also make the kid I gave the red falta to to stand up and justify why he got it. He basically lied in front of me, and a classmate of his (who I'm not a big fan of - she's a little snot) stood up and said what really happened. Oh well.

It's almost March. Tomorrow marks, more or less, 5 months to the day from when I left home for Peace Corps. Yeah, I'm reaching for milestones.

But when you miss people back home as much as I do now - milestones are pretty big.

Peace

John