Saturday, April 12, 2003

3/6/2003

My discipline today got a little more - well, pointed. I've backed off "in-your-face" discipline because it just doesn't accomplish anything, like hitting. Not that I was or would ever hit, but I realized that ridiculing students doesn't do anything for respect.

So I still need to show students they need to be quiet, and making them leave (or giving them the threat) is usually enough. But when it's the last period of the day, you can't tell them to leave - so that's when you need to be creative.

Two boys near the back were talking and I couldn't sit them in front because there was no room, so I had them stand on either side of the chalkboard facing the rest of the class. I was asking questions most of the kids knew already so I figured they would know the answers. I stood in the middle of the class and asked them questions which were part of my lesson. I went to the board, continued to write and continued to ask them questions, which they knew for the most part. I asked them why they knew the answers now and not when they were sitting down, to no response. I let them sit back down after that, and they stayed quiet the rest of the time.

Some days I just need to take a deep breath, think of everyone I miss, see what I want to accomplish and recenter myself. Did I mention this happens almost every day?

Peace

John