Wednesday, April 09, 2003

2/7/2003

Like usual, my head's swimming with things I want to write about.

Like correcting a homework assignment which students denied they were given, then did in class by copying off of each other. Which I allowed, because only about 75% of the class was there and I can't take attendance yet.

Like throwing a student out of class for being disruptive, but having students tell me I should hit her. I stopped class and asked them why they thought hitting would solve anything, and some of the soft-spoken ones seemed to agree with me.

Like playing a game of Ultimate just after school with no shirt on, and getting catcalls for it.

Like realizing that in order to maintain my "realistic idealism" about the world, I need to have a tremendous amount of will power.

Like hearing the worst lounge singer in Mozambique.

Like realizing I've got 1 1/2 years to go and having that feel so short and so long at the same time.

Like feeling that I'm not doing everything I can...yet.

Peace

John