Sunday, August 17, 2003

05/20/2003

"Boa tarde senhor professor".

(Good afternoon, teacher.)

I tell the students they can sit down, which they do while mocking my manner of telling them to sit down. Happens every time.

I give a quiz. One of the last questions has to do with "consistencia" of a root. They laugh every time I say this word. I didn't understand why until today. I say "cong-zish-tens-ee-uh", but it should be "cong-sish-tens-ee-uh". The former is a very vulgar word in Changana and the latter is a property of roots.

I look at the date I'm writing on the board. Didn't May just begin?

A student stands up against the din of a noisy class.

"Hit her", he says.

"Never", I reply.

We have a lengthy public argument over the value in hitting as a form of discipline. I say it creates more problems than it solves. The student says the same thing about my policy. Many students agree. They're used to it as discipline. They listen to violence. But it just breeds hate.

The English classes got cancelled by some higher-up. We're not quite sure yet, but this could be messy.

All in all, not an abnormal day.

Peace

John