Sunday, August 17, 2003

07/19/2003

I'm lying. It's actually the 20th, but only a few minutes in.

The day started with a meeting of all the teachers at my school, discussing the trimester. At one point, I was called on to justify my "approval" of my students. Last semester, I passed 20% of the students. 50% is average. They were rightfully concerned. When I stood up and announced that my approval is now 70%, they gave me a round of applause. I'm still not quite sure why!

I had lunch with Nimi at a local restaurant. There were a bunch of Portuguese over there, trying out a little Changana with the waitress. It was funny. Nimi and I talked about jobs when we get back - that will be strange, indeed.

And tonight I ate a second dinner and hung out with Charles and Annie for a while. We talked about philosophy, intelligence and religion. It was great to have a discussion like that, but at the same time, I feel guilty. Why am I not doing this with Mozambicans?

I know it's a comfort thing, but if I really want to understand the culture, I need to let go of being in familiar situations. I need to learn how to "take around" here and just walk, expecting nothing to come of it other than to see people. This is probably one skill that nobody can teach you, you just have to do.

I suppose I had the same problem in college, to a point. I'd always come and visit with some purpose - my main challenge is to overcome my need to be always doing something and realize that walking around IS doing something.

I should start tomorrow morning. Wake up, make breakfast, do a little cleaning, then just go. I can't let myself come up with anything to do. I just have to go.

And then, hopefully, I'll start seeing more opportunities to really be a part of the culture and not just BE here. I came to help, but I'm not any different than a stack of money if all I do is my job.

Peace

John