Sunday, August 31, 2003

06/18/2003

Lately, I've been doing all sorts of work on various projects all day long. Kinda doesn't leave time for living. Which is what being here is all about.

We made an excellent eggplant pasta sauce tonight. First, fried up the eggplant in a milk/flour mixture, then tossed that into a tomato sauce and served over pasta. Yesterday, we made a couve (one of the green leafs) type sauce and served it over rice. With a cup of pounded peanuts in it, it was delicious and healthy. So yeah, I've been eating well lately.

I gave three lessons today that had the same format as the lesson I gave yesterday. In a couple of the turmas, the students really paid attention and were involved in the lesson. Though the end concept I was going for went over most of their heads, I think they still learned something and it's worth it to keep trying this method of teaching. Especially when the majority of the material is a review, there's no sense in talking about it in detail, all over again.

Little by little, I'm figuring out what works in the classroom, realizing that the considerations I anticipated aren't necessarily the ones that are most important. I have to tailor my lessons to make them shorter when a turma is impatient. I can't make them do work in groups every other class. Multiple choice tests are easier to grade, but harder to give.

Peace

John