Saturday, August 16, 2003

07/13/2003

Diamentino was a pest today. He stopped by in the morning and just sort of leeched for most of the day. I like his company, but it was obvious he was bored and knows I've got entertainment. I'm just glad I don't have a TV. For many reasons. Our neighbors do, but they don't treat it like a member of the family. It's just there, and is A form of entertainment, but not the salve that it is in the States. It could be because the programming is weak and there's very little of it which is locally produced, but I think the culture is so social that it doesn't make much sense to watch TV alone...if that gives any clue as to where this is coming from.

It's a big deal that I'm staying in the house alone, not because of safety, but the fact that it's just not done that way here. I think Diamentino stayed here as long as he did simply because of that. Jorgito even came by an hour after he left, and we ate the cheese-less Eggplant Parmesan I made. It was delicious, and I made enough for two more meals.

I talked with Jorgito about getting drunk last night. He said he didn't really like it, but was glad he did it. He stayed up late, sobering up with his uncle and drinking plenty of water. It's really quite incredible how responsible he is. And though you might question a 17 year old's responsibility getting drunk essentially on his own, in the context of how alcohol is often abused here and taking the time to learn how to use it, he is in fact quite responsible.

He realizes that it is a social drug to be treated with care. I think alcohol, just like all mildly addictive drugs, is not inherently evil, but when someone uses it to try and make up for a lack of happiness, success or acceptance, then it very readily absorbs and then reflects the qualities it was taken to reverse in the first place. And, of course, when the focus of the event IS the drug, and not socializing or just having a good time, that's when problems start. My most uncomfortable nights have been a result of this goal-oriented drinking.

And so maybe he didn't have a good time because he was so focused on getting this thing out of the way. Maybe he needs to learn how to drink as a parallel social behavior, too...but I think he can wait for a while for that lesson.

I'm excited about playing handball tomorrow. I think I'm making good progress in breaking down the teacher/student barrier without having sex with the students or hitting them. Sounds facetious, but....well, I best keep it there.

And it looks like the English classes will start again soon, our of a school. I'm not going to disclose the location until I'm absolutely sure, but this could be fun.

Peace

John