Saturday, September 25, 2004

08/18/2004

I've consistently had problems with one of my students in 12th grade in terms of respect, and today I gave him the boot. I told him to come back in a week and a half, when he had more respect for the teacher and was ready to pay attention in class without goofing off.

I would normally think this a ridiculous solution, that it doesn't address the problem, but it does. I have tried it on several occasions now and it seems to work out every single time there's a student who's disrespectful in and out of class - they just thought I couldn't tell. So it was a big game to them, and they thought I wasn't even playing. And all of a sudden, I win. So then our relationship turns human again, and the respect is there because I beat them at their own game.

Hopefully, it'll be one more time with him. What kills me is when it's a good student, and he is.

Less than 4 months before I finish my service here, and the biggest accomplishments have yet to happen.

Peace

John