Tuesday, September 28, 2004

09/08/2004

Well, it was a fun birthday party - lots of food, dancing and music. Of course, my students showed up at 8 in the morning (it was supposed to be 10) and started cooking, going until 6 in the evening. I helped them out on peeling the potatoes, then got involved in my own project of making pizza. An upshot to making the pizza was that we had to buy a tremendous amount of cheese, so much so that we have had to eat it out of necessity rather than desire. Still good - but I don't think I'll ever be able to eat Gouda again. (This is MOM -- GOUDA on pizza??!!!)

About halfway through the party, it was time to cut the cake and get down to the real business - eating it. Everyone loves cake and so everyone wants it - all of the neighborhood kids, all of the neighbors. It got to be so bad that the head chefs called the distribution off with about 1/3 of the cake left, brought it inside the house, and started to get their fill. It was well-deserved and well worth it. But what I don't get is that they only partied for about 3 hours, and spent all day getting ready for it. The students I spoke with were very happy with the party, but I guess I just don't understand yet what makes for a "good time". I suppose I would think the same thing about an American party if I were Mozambican.

But one thing happened during the party that really struck me. For the first time here, I didn't feel American. I felt like everyone I was talking to was speaking my language, just in different words. I went up to people and treated them just like any friends in the States - no pretenses, just there to have a good time and chat. Maybe it's just all as a result of finally accpeting my role here and figuring out the positives in it.

So why leave NOW? Well, it still isn't my comfort zone. I can do that for 3 hours and interact with Mozambicans the majority of the day, but it's still incredibly tiring. It's not what my body has been trained to do. But at the same time, I've trained my body to do it and now I feel like I will lose something by not having that interaction. A part of me will definitely stay here.

Onias, a Zimbabwean here, is an incredible artist and gives Oscar, a Mozambican, a run for his money. I plan on getting works from both of them before I leave, possibly commissioned.

Jamy, sister of a former PCV and an RPCV herself, came to visit with her fiance today, Dan. They're here to do some research on HIV/AIDS in the field, and here is apparently a good place to turn to. We spoke a lot tonight about life and what is funny about Mozambique. I got the feeling that this conversation is indicative of the ones I'll be having back in the States, except that these will be mundane. But I'm excited to see someone else see these things for the first time and get the chance to talk with real Mozambicans about real problems. Tomorrow we'll get that chance and I hope they gain some insights.

Peace

John