Tuesday, September 14, 2004

8/02/2004

Teaching is neat. I walked into my 8th grade classes without a clue as to what to do, because I wasn't able to plan a lesson and was under the impression that I was not going to be their teacher any more - so I gave a review of the past four lessons with a lot of interaction and very interactive demonstrations of concepts, that seemed to be fairly successful. I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow, but it should be just as spontaneous.

I had to kick one of my students out of school today (for the year!). She had had too many absences and had falsified signatures (plus, her grades were rock-bottom). When I told her what had happened, with a couple of other students present, she started to shake and I could tell she was going to cry, mostly out of anger. Half of me feels badly, because I know she wants to study, but the other half of me realizes that you have to put the effort in to study, or you're just wasting time and money. And she's put in almost no effort.

Went out to dinner with Nanosh and Brooke after Brooke's house was broken into. Half of me can't wait for security again.

Peace

John