Friday, November 08, 2002

10/23/2002

I'm trying to send letters to everyone, writing one letter every day. There's enough volunteers headed back to the States so that I can send mail back with them. So by the time you read this, you'll either be receiving mail or I'll be writing you something (hopefully!) But keep on writing...

I got hold of a phone I can use today, so soon I should know what's going on in the world and be able to actually talk with people. I don't want to give the phone # away here, but Email me if you would like to talk. (Or call my mom's place and she'll give you the info.)

(MOM HERE --- WE HAVE HAD VIRTUALLY NO SUCCESS IN GETTING THROUGH TO JOHN ON THE CELL PHONE NUMBER - APPARENTLY SIMILAR TO OTHER FAMILIES' EXPERIENCES. I'LL GIVE YOU THE NUMBER AND WISH YOU LUCK!)

I had a good Portuguese day. I didn't feel overwhelmed by the language, and I really had good conversations with my father and my brothers. I'm still having trouble understanding a lot of it, as I have trouble picking out the small words (prepositions, articles, etc.) and I don't have the ever helpful Spanish background. But that's motivating me to learn more all the time, and then use it in conversation.

I'm making good friends here, but I still can't replace my US friends...ever...

We've been taking wagers as to who will be the first couple, but there are only 5 unattached guys and about 20 unattached women. So I guess that makes things more interesting! All of us are pretty focused on our training so I haven't seen very much fraternizing. And since homosexuality is all but banned here, the odds are pretty low for the women.

The reason I'm even harping on this is that we've met about 10 PC couples who all met in their training class. So we see it as inevitable.

Some of us have been taking bets as to the first trainee to leave, but I think that's bad karma. Honestly, I hope nobody leaves because this country needs as much help as we can give. But I could see this not working for some people. It's just not for everyone.

In terms of leadership, I think I lead in a much more non-traditional way. I think I talk to most of the trainees on a regular basis, and I try to get a feel for how they're doing. This isn't to say that my approach is unique, but I think it's necessary. I always try to keep the mood light - and I don't know if everyone appreciates that. I know some people are annoyed, but I think humor keeps people sane, so I'm going to stick with being as I am for now.

A few of us have talked about how this could very easily be a reality show. So many stories make up a soap opera of sorts, and the PC experience is so completely foreign, it could garner great ratings on US TV. It's a fun idea, but then we return to why we're here in the first place.

For me, it's the children.

And I feel like a kid again, being able to start a new, wonderful life if only for 2 years.

Peace

John