Monday, November 25, 2002

10/29/2002

(THIS IS MOM -- JUST RECEIVED JOHN'S POSTS FROM 10/29 FORWARD. I UNDERSTAND FROM EMAIL TO ONE OF THE OTHER PARENTS THAT UNREST IN THE CAPITAL HAS MEANT THAT THE VOLUNTEERS CAN'T GO IN FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. THAT MEANS NO EMAILS FOR A WHILE. NONETHELESS, IF ANYONE WISHES TO EMAIL JOHN, PLEASE DO, AS ALL ARE BEING KEPT FOR HIM AND EVENTUALLY HE'LL SEE IT.)

Cockroach vs Trainee -- the battle continues...

I know the cockroach is just another bug, like any other, and is as harmless as any other. All they do is scamper about randomly.

But here in Mozambique, they get to tremendous proportions. And they're all downright nasty looking. They look like mobile pieces of crap with large feelers that can sense what's going on at all times. I have never held such superficial contempt for an animal (or anything, really) as I do for the cockroach. It is the only animal I have no problem harming or killing on sheer principle.

Ants and spiders I can deal with. Bats are downright cute. But when faced with a cockroach on my wall, I reach for the industrial-strength bug spray and go to town. I'll keep on spraying until it can't hold onto the wall any longer, then it will fall to the ground. I'll either sweep it out of my room, or cover it with something until morning. Cockroaches like to play dead, so you can never be sure.

What's more, they seem to take a certain liking to the smell of shit. I don't know what it is, but if it's dark out and reeks of feces, you can bet there are a few roaches near.

I really needed to "fazer coco" (take a poop) tonight at 9:00 PM. My family was all asleep, so I had to venture outside all alone. The moon isn't out tonight due to cloud cover, so I couldn't see very much at all beyond the glow of my flashlight (possibly one of the best inventions ever, my LED flashlight).

The latrine is simple - a hole with a wood covering, raised about a foot off the ground.

As soon as I entered the bathroom, I saw roaches scurry in every direction, and not necessarily away from me. I kicked a couple away, then decided I just couldn't pull down my pants and expose myself to getting roached.

So I want and "fazer xixi" (to take a piss) in the casa de banho to work up the courage. When I came back, it seemed like the roaches I kicked had spread the word. They seemed to keep their distance, but as I opened the latrine, there were still a couple more enjoying their poopy meal. They hopped out after some prodding, and I tore my pants off as quickly as possible, balancing the TP and flashlight so as to keep track of every rogue cockroach and keep them away from A) my ass, and B) my TP.

I talked to them the whole time, giving them such nicknames as "F...ity, F..., F..." and "F...'in roach". You can tell I was in a creative mood. One did get daring and touched my ass which provoked an immediate and sudden response I care not to share here.

I pooped quicker than I've ever pooped before, and then let the roaches get back to doing whatever they had been doing before...

Peace

John