Friday, November 08, 2002

10/24/2002

Wow!

I've gotten used to being in Africa.

Every day is a new adventure, but I've really adjusted. And though I have only a small grasp of the language, I feel less like a stranger.

Kids always come up to me, saying my name (Joao) and wanting to hold my hand. Not that this is exactly unique! But fun.

Today we learned about initiation rituals in Mozambique. It was really quite interesting.

For the girls, there's a sequestering directly after her first menstrual period of either one week or one month, during which she learns the traditions of being a Mozambican woman. For the men, they are alone and naked for a month after being circumcised on their 12th (?) birthday - ouch. Both of these traditions are not practiced any more, but the government is urging local leaders to reinstitute them.

Another interesting tradition is the wedding night...ceremony. In order to make sure the new wife was a virgin, a white sheet is placed on the bed. If blood is on the sheet in the morning, the family knows she was a virgin.

Of course, bleeding does not occur in every woman. But this tradition does not allow for that exception. This is not to say that Mozambicans are ignorant. There are very many good reasons to want to marry a virgin, and most have to do with health and verification of paternity.

At the same time, I don't agree with doing this - but as this is a different culture (and a seldom-practiced tradition) - it's important to understand why these rites exist.

Peace

John