Saturday, May 17, 2003

3/26/2003

Tober arrived today, to stay for about a week. His presence was announced by about a half-dozen kids who were telling me about it on my way back from shopping.

I remember when I was on site visit, barely being able to understand what was going on around town and in school. But I've got such a firm grasp on the language, albeit in limited contexts, that it's not my main concern any more. Seeing that difference helped me see that very clearly.

I visited a new GATV clinic where HIV testing is done free of charge. A student of mine, Abdul, and Tober had joined me to see if I could work on a collaboration at all with this group. Minutes later, after I refused some coffee and an HIV test, 30 men and women came streaming out of some back room to watch a video.

Not only does this office have a TV, but it looks like any run-of-the-mill clinic in the States, which was quite jarring.

Apparently, they were training new employees and advocates. Videos were shown on mock situations dealing with power in the community and HIV and the visible effects of STDs (very graphic). As they were busy, I said I'd come back tomorrow to talk.

But Tober suggested, in order to remove the stigma of coming to get tested, that I bring all of my students by to see the facilities - a fantastic suggestion. Tomorrow I'm also going to visit the hospital to talk with a domestic organization, Gerecao Biz. And there's a church right across from the school where AIDS patients stay. If I'm feeling brave enough, I might go there, too. But to make those rounds, I'd need to bring a group of volunteers from my classes and not an entire class. We'll see - I've been assigned a couple of professors to work with in developing the curriculum, I've got my Changana tutor correcting the lessons, and Blake's given a lesson that I suggested and developed with him.

As long as I don't lose this momentum and motivation, this can go quite far. It's pretty exciting.

Peace

John