Saturday, May 03, 2003

4/2/2003

I've got a pretty good handle on discipline, but when something's funny, REALLY funny, I lose my composure and quite often control of the room. But sometimes a little barulho (noise) lets the kids vent and joking around a little is a good segue to introduce a new fact. My oldest turma actually looked intrigued at one point in my lecture today because they goofed off productively.

Before that happened, though, I have a mini-HIV lesson on safe and unsafe behaviors. One kid asked if kissing was safe. As I was saying that open-mouthed kissing has a slight risk of HIV infection, a kid in the back was....demonstrating. With himself, mind you, but he was sitting there with his tongue wagging away. As I wasn't sure if my explanation in Portuguese was sufficient, I asked him to demonstrate for everyone. Alone. The kids asked if he needed a girl - when I said no, they asked if he was to demonstrate on me, again NO. This whole deal was pretty funny, and then I did the explanation again. He showed a dry kiss by kissing his hand (after a bit of thought) and then after a longer pause, knowing full well what was coming next, he showed us the sloppiest solitary wet kiss ever shown in a Mozambican classroom. I couldn't help but laugh myself, which gets the kids going, too.

Then, after a demonstration of how exercise affect the body, using another student, I asked the class what someone needs to do after sweating a lot, in the context of biological cellular processes.

The "kisser" stood up and said, "Take a bath", completely in rhythm with my question. I doubled over as to not reveal how hard I was laughing, then continued the class.

It wasn't really that funny a joke, but knowing that things like this translate and are a part of many cultures is comforting if not downright hilarious.

Portuguese and Changana are making more sense and improving every day. Seeing my host family with these new faculties is going to be great fun!

Six more days of classes in this trimester, 2 1/2 weeks until my first in-service training, about 7 months from my halfway point of service, 5 months from my 25th birthday, and 6 months in Mozambique. I'll shut up about milestones for a little while.

Peace

John