Saturday, May 31, 2003

4/22/2003

Last night, we hit the local bars, and Jesse and I got very drunk. It was a good time, meeting a local by the name of Chipeto who insisted his girlfriend's name was Chipeta and offered my wine. The latrine was a large tree, and they put on a blues CD, repeating it four times. None of this was strange or difficult to adjust to at this point.

I typed up the first 6 HIV/AIDS lessons and I think quite a few volunteers are going to try and give them in some capacity. We had an excellent HIV/AIDS presentation today, getting lots of wonderful statistics - however disturbing. I live in one of the hotspots for HIV in Mozambique, so I'm definitely motivated.

It's been a little surreal, being back in this training situation - there are a ton of stories to share, people to comfort, and people to confide in. I think a few more in our group will be leaving soon - if these next couple of days don't go well. Sometimes the challenges are bigger than the opportunities and the situation is never right to continue.

But there's still a ton I can do here - I don't know if I can keep up this pace for another year and a half, but I want to try.

And the more I dip my hands into, the more overwhelmed I feel. So many people have such great ideas and I want to try it all...teaching English on the side, having office hours, coaching sports teams, etc.

Eh pa!

Peace

John