Saturday, May 17, 2003

4/08/2003

Students often come up to me saying things like:

"I never received my exam", or

"I never did the second quiz", or

"When are you going to have a make-up quiz?"

And I always tell them there are only make-up quizzes and tests if they have justified their absence officially. This requires a minimal effort, so if they're serious about it, it will happen. But with the efforts, they put into complaining and cheating,you wonder why the same effort isn't put into studying.

I think this question really has to do with how they're taught to learn. And so studying isn't a matter of trying to digest the material in a different way but is just sitting down and memorizing.

I talked with the professor I substituted for on Friday, about the homework I gave his turma. He knew only half of the answer, unable to draw the connection between a molecule containing energy in discrete units. The problem isn't intelligence but a lack of knowledge. He knows what he is teaching, but only that.

For all of its pitfalls, the American system is wonderful.

I've been at seriously low motivation lately. I think it's just a predictable phase from being a little burned out and missing people like crazy.

I know what I'm doing is helping, but could I be helping in other ways as well? And it seems like a guilty pleasure to miss people, because I know I've got a free ride home.

Peace

John