Friday, June 27, 2003

05/27/2003

I've been trying to get my mind around the HIV/AIDS problem and education - in general - lately.

Why do I have so many discipline problems that relate directly to giving and making understood the information that students are paying to receive? Is it the American sickness of going to school for the diploma and not for the means? Or does it have to do with the fact that I am SO different, that my idea of education is so different, that the kids stop trying to make heads or tails of it?

I have a feeling the last part is the closest to the truth. I've revealed to some of my turmas now that I know some Changana, which immediately gets me more respect. Silence is easier to get, as long as they remember that I'm not just another white guy. And so maybe they're re-evaluating me, for the first time since I showed up with crappy Portuguese and unreasonable expectations. Maybe they're starting to see that I really care.

But I think some kids are still caught up in the messenger instead of the message. I could speak perfect Portuguese, but their mind is not on what I'm trying to say, but on how I say it. There was a notice to be read today, and after I read it, there was a concensus that it ws not well understood (though during it, my pronunciation was corrected on a word that meant they understood), so a student read it. She received a round of applause, mainly to spite me (yes, this is my least favorite turma), even though her recitation was almost exactly like mine - if not worse. I tried to not let it get to me, but it took the back route and is still slightly getting to me.

And this lack of digging deeper is not relegated just to my lessons. When almost any new information is received, the emphasis is on knowing the words, not an understanding of the concept. When I ask "What does that mean, in your own words?", I can see the smoke rising. There's a pause as the student actually THINKS (it's quite visible), then figures out whether they understood it or not. And they'll say nothing rather than say what they think is wrong or say they don't know. It seems fairly universal that there is a fear of physical violence for a wrong answer. I have to convince them "I don't know" IS acceptable.

And so since the emphasis in HIV/AIDS education is informing people, the same trap has been set between information and comprehension.

Peace

John