Saturday, June 28, 2003

06/04/2003

Today was a hard day. The students refused to follow simple directions, then were completely undisciplined and disrespectful, because my teaching style is so different and language isn't what other professors have (well, duh!), so after class I went to the post office, which was closed, and to a nice quiet, dark area where I could sit and cry a little. Basically, the students don't make me feel human. There are exceptions, but on the whole, I feel like some emotionless space creature. I don't think they care to understand me and how I'm different.

But I put myself in this hole because unlike other professors, I came in treating the students as peers and not as apprentices who know nothing and can only learn what is taught in class. This seems to be the educational disease here, but it's in no way unique to Mozambique. Education. Pooh.

I often think about loved ones and the reason I came here (usually in that order) - to help people. I constantly re-evaluate if I'm helping people, and I think I am, but it's not as effective as it could be.

Peace

John