Thursday, March 04, 2004

01/18/2004

There's nothing like looking out at the stars, the thousands of them, and thinking.

Why am I here? Am I actually doing any good? Am I just keeping the endless cycle of begging going forever? Or am I making a big difference after all, by example, and not so much directly? I'd like to believe the latter, but I'm not at all sure.

I thought today of how I'm going to miss Africa when I go back to the States. Because I sit down every day here and end up thinking of someone and something I miss, almost to the point of obsession, that I wonder how much of this experience I'm missing and how unprepared I'll be to miss it. I've always hated regret, but I think part of me wants to put some closure on these two years and be happy with them. I guess I'm starting to realize how big the world is and how I can't help everyone...or at least it seems that way. I'm not yet ready to fully concede, however, that I can't do something huge.

Peace

John