Thursday, March 04, 2004

01/26/2004

Well, I managed to waste some time at the training center and Maputo, catching up with volunteers and philosophizing about the current state of affairs in Mozambique and the world. It was a necessary break, albeit during the first week of classes.

And when I returned yesterday, to swaths of mud, piles of dirt and beetles and mosquitoes swarming in every direction, I realized I was home. Not pretty, but home.

And when I decided to check in at school on my day off, I came to realize that I didn't have a day off on the new schedule, but I was fairly unaffected by this development. I gave 3 of the 4 lessons today and it felt like I hadn't had 3 months off from giving lessons.

I spoke some French with a woman from the DRC while Nanosh and I were on the way to his school so that I could watch his lessons, then some Changana with a herdsman who said he didn't need to study, then answered a couple of English grammar questions.

Back at home, we cooked dinner, entertained Kingston, Jorgito and the Canadians while others constantly showed up at the door. I showed Jorgito how to use a microscope that I'll deliver to the Agricultural School later this week, and discussed a little hockey with Charles. Kingston and I set a meeting to talk about the English school, possibly going to Maputo this weekend.

One day back and I feel back in the swing of things, as if I hadn't left...kind of.

There are so many things I want to accomplish this year that I know it will fly by - the challenge was making it through the holidays.

Peace

John