Saturday, April 10, 2004

03/03/2004

I had my first Changana class with Alfredo in over a year today. I told him I wanted to cover interrogatives, so we talked about interrogatives for about an hour and a half. I think I asked him some hard questions (smirk), but he was more than up to the challenge. He is really an incredibly intelligent man because he could explain to me the reason why things are said the way they're said, clearly and succinctly. He's a master scientist of Changana.

After the lesson, I asked him whether he'd gone to university and he said that he hadn't yet. He's waiting to start his family enough to be able to leave them alone for essentially a few years - though he will be able to come back on the weekends. He wants to study psychology and/or linguistics and for all the right reasons. He wants to understand them both, but only toward his goals of becoming a translator for health workers in local villages. If he realizes his goals before getting his diploma, he'll leave - no problem.

His idealism and work habits are downright inspiring. He knows more English than most teachers here and refuses to just do something "routine" if it could be called that.

Peace

John