Thursday, April 22, 2004

03/24/2004

So, on Monday morning, a kid fainted during the national anthem, and everyone just stood around like nothing had happened, continuing to sing. I helped the kid out and a minute later, another teacher came by to help. 400 students and 10 teachers, and the white guy goes and helps - irony being that nobody said anything afterwards - in a kind of way, that's what everyone expected to happen.

On Monday evening, Nanosh fainted in a restaurant, and everyone looked over to see what was going on. Nobody said anything, because it's just weird to see it.

Tuesday afternoon, the father of the kids who stole our things sat there nervously while his kids lied through their teeth and, as we've learned, something they're quite accustomed to doing. And there's nothing we can do.

Tuesday sometime, my fan decided to stop working.

This morning the woman who washes my clothes now didn't come, but left a message with one of our neighbors that tomorrow, a relative of hers would come to wash my clothes.

Today, another teacher tried to get our test typed up, but managed to foul it up so incredibly that most of the questions are illegible or have so many errors, it's difficult for ME to read. And they left off 20% of the test.

I proctored two tests to the delight and surprise of some 300 screaming and yelling kids. Nobody else gets a reception like that.

I went to use the Internet to help a teacher out, but we both ended up wasting our time as the Internet wasn't working.

Today was my "day off". I missed my Changana lesson with Alfredo. I also missed lunch.

All told, I don't have a cellphone, a wallet, bank card, credit card, clean clothes, well-made tests, a working fan, or the slightest desire to be pitied or to pity myself. Life is like this - period. I still have a lot more going for me than most of the people I'm surrounded by. And I can still say that I'm getting thrown curveballs making life at the very least - interesting.

Peace

John