Thursday, April 29, 2004

04/12/2004

We got one turma done today at the grade council - the new pedagogical director is being incredibly strict and I hope this organization pays off later on. For the time being, she's disliked - just like the last ped director. I'm not liked because I'm strict in the classroom - is there a pattern here (other than hyphens)? My turms seems to have some of the highest grades in the 10th grade and it's an older turma that's not expected to do so well. Maybe I can actually take credit for some of that. Maybe.

Paul Theroux's book mentions Maputo and the train that runs up to my site. I've been meaning to take the train for a while, and as I hear it clearly from my window quite often, I feel that my next trip to Maputo should include it.

In the same breath, he mentions an old bit of advice for a do-gooder from their father. He roughly says that every life is unique, is special, and must be treated as such. Like this, you won't be able to touch many lives. But the reality is that you can't help everyone. So work on yourself first and focus on the little things in your life that make it so interesting.

My latest project, the study guide, is half-selfish, muscle-flexing, half-help.

Peace

John