Tuesday, April 27, 2004

03/30/2004

Here, you realize how tightly you must hold on to small victories. I think my students have renewed vigor after seeing high test scores and their efforts validated. The next step is to see how they do on their trimesterly projects on 8th grade material.

Even though I didn't teach all that much (though 5 lessons can sound like a lot, out of context) today, I got super tired. I think it's just built-up fatique from grading papers and giving classes/proctoring exams for a week and a half straight. Resting up tomorrow and getting some things done around the house will be nice.

Word has hit that Horacio, a Peace Corps driver, died a couple of days ago. I remember that he always greeted me in Changana and remarked on "how great" it was that I was learning and making an effort. We'd speak in Changana about our health, the health of our families, what we were doing, where we were going. He would always make me feel special, and I always tried to return the favor.

All told, death is tough to understand.

Peace

John