Saturday, April 10, 2004

03/16/2004

I caught myself daydreaming about day camp this morning. It was all the weather's fault. This morning it was brisk (low 70s) with a slight mist, plenty of humidity and a sun that was promising to beat down on you later in the day. It reminded me completely of waiting for the bus to take me to day camp, and how nice that silence was - how anticipatory it was of the day ahead.

And just like then, my day today was very busy, but in so different a way that it is difficult to describe how strange I feel continuing this metaphor. My biggest challenges then and now are social ones, but the very fact that I was the age of my youngest students when I was in day camp, and my oldest students are my age now - well, to think of my life proceeding so slowly just to come to a head a few years later, as is expected of most Mozambicans - it's mind-boggling. In the span of about 12 years I've changed almost completely as a person, from objectives to knowledge to personality, and I feel like if I were Mozambican, that would never be possible.

Peace

John