Sunday, September 28, 2003

09/04/2003

It's insatiable, this need to write. I think of or see something interesting and the journal is the first place I turn. I'm a junkie, and my addiction is quite healthy.

Diamentino robbed us yesterday of about $20 (big deal here). I dropped a note off in his house but have been unable to find him. Shit will hit the fan tomorrow. What this means for projects we were working on, I don't know, but Blake and I are tired of his crap.

Speaking of crap, my students certainly give me plenty of it. You have to have fun though - so I use Changana and English, random extra materials, pick on students who talk during class, make jokes straight-faced (which are now received fairly well), break cultural norms blatantly and knowingly, etc. But if 30 minutes of conducting the symphony of information known as a lesson leads to one concept being understood by 50% of the students, I'm ecstatic.

I get disheartened when I hear other teachers teach to memorize, because I know that that just reinforces the idea that intelligence = facts. But Alfred watched my teach today and commented on the interactive style, even though he couldn't understand most of what was going on. He said that that's how Zimbabwean teachers are trained.

Well, sleep has announced itself with no subtlety tonight. Think lots of bricks...

Peace

John